I learned an important life lesson earlier this week that I wanted to share. The other day I was having a particularly hard day where it seemed a lot like the universe was out to get me. You know, one of those days where it seems like you can’t catch a break? It was one of those. On that particular day, it also seemed like the universe knew I needed a little bit of a break, too. Weird, huh? Doesn’t seem to make sense, but that’s what happened.
Throughout the day, I experienced a few simple acts of kindness that helped make my hard day become not so unbearable. Now we’re not talking grand gesture status here, just small things like a hug, offering a protein bar before before class, a check-in conversation or a compliment from a friend. I know these things don’t sound like much, but they helped turn my day around when I needed it the most.
This really got me thinking about how something small could really mean so much in that moment. You never know when when the kindness you show someone will make a huge impact on their day. This isn’t something that should be taken for granted.
I’ve always prided myself in having a sixth sense for when people just need a little something, whether it be a hug, an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on, but this particular day made me realize how absolutely important this really is. Now that I realize how much of a difference the little things can make, I am going to make more of a point to pay it forward to others too.
Sometimes you’re up and can lend a helping hand and sometimes you’re down and you need someone to help you and that’s okay too. That’s how we all make it through life, right? By being able to depend on each other. (Or so a wise person once told me 😉 )
I’m certainly not trying to preach here, because I’m not perfect by any means. I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that maybe it would inspire you all to do something nice for someone around you today, too. You never know the difference you can make.
A few simple ways to make someones day:
- Ask them how their day is and actually care and engage in their answer.
- Give someone a just because card.
- Bring someone a little treat to show you’re thinking of them.
- Pay for the order of the person next in line behind you at a drive thru.
- Just listen to whatever they have to say.
- Give a hug without asking.
- Offer to help with something.
- Give a genuine compliment.
- Say thank you and mean it when someone does something for you.
- “Kind Cop Caught on Camera Giving Homeless Man Shoes Instead of a Ticket” by The Huffington Post
- “20 Heart Warming Random Acts of Kindness” by Pleated Jeans
- The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
Questions of the Day:
What’s one way you like to show kindness to another?
What’s did it mean to you when someone showed you a random act of kindness?